Useful resources throughout your PhD
Here is a list of resources that might be useful to you during your PhD.
Bioinformatics, Career planning, Deep learning, Funding opportunities , fu:stat, Github, Job application, Linear Algebra, Linux, Machine learning, Matlab, MAX, Mental health, PhD guide, Plagiarism detection tool, Poster, Professional figures and drawings, Project planing and time management, Python, R, Reading, Science communication, Scientific writing, Statistics
Feel free to suggest more ideas!
All employees and guests at the MPIGM have access to the MAX platform, the intranet of the Max Planck Society. To connect, select “MPI for Molecular Genetics” in the “Choose your institution” menu, and enter your personal number (you can find it on your salary sheet) and your password. If you are a guest, contact the HR office to get your personal number.
You can find more information on MAX here.
If you are struggling with problems that affect your mental health and well-being, don't stay without talking about it! You are not the only one and there is no shame in feeling down and asking for help. There are several solutions available to you:
- EMAP (Employee and manager assistance program) Life Coaching (MAX platform): Free immediate counselling services for employees and scholarship holders of the Max Planck Society, available 24/7, in German and English, if required Spanish, French, Dutch, Russian and Turkish, Call 0800 80 100 70 70 or from abroad: +49 69 25738395
- You can contact the Student Association of the MPIMG.
- The Planck Academy (MAX platform) offers some webinars on Mental Health.
- The PhDNet usually organises a Mental Health Awarness Week each autumn and provides a lot of information: Read for instance the post Should I stay or should I go (out)? and the Immediate Help Document. More resources are available here.
You can access the inhouse Github here.
- Python http://mygreatlearning.com/academy/learn-for-free/courses/python-fundamentals-for-beginners
- Pandas http://kaggle.com/learn/pandas
- Numpy, scikit-learn http://simplilearn.com/learn-python-basics-free-course-skillup
- Data Science http://cognitiveclass.ai/courses/python-for-data-science
- Database http://freecodecamp.org/learn/scientific-computing-with-python/
- Data Visualization http://kaggle.com/learn/data-visualization; https://www.udemy.com/course/matplotlib-for-data-visualization-with-python-programming-language/?ranMID=39197&ranEAID=Vrr1tRSwXGM&ranSiteID=Vrr1tRSwXGM-bhM4qqOeI8X0NP8P5cdGGg&LSNPUBID=Vrr1tRSwXGM&utm_source=aff-campaign&utm_medium=udemyads
- Data Analysis http://openclassrooms.com/en/courses/2304731-learn-python-basics-for-data-analysis
- AI http://simplilearn.com/learn-ai-basics-skillup
- Machine Learning http://simplilearn.com/learn-machine-learning-algorithms-free-course-skillup
- Deep Learning (TensorFlow) http://kaggle.com/learn/intro-to-deep-learning
- Django https://openclassrooms.com/en/courses/6967196-create-a-web-application-with-django
- Flask https://www.mygreatlearning.com/academy/learn-for-free/courses/flask-python
- Design Pattern https://openclassrooms.com/en/courses/6900866-write-maintainable-python-code
- DSA https://www.mygreatlearning.com/academy/learn-for-free/courses/linked-list-in-python
- Testing openclassrooms.com/en/courses/7747411-test-your-python-project
- Debugging openclassrooms.com/en/courses/7744266-debug-your-python-project
The Max Planck Society has a licence with unlimited access to all online trainings and tools. You can find more information here: https://de.mathworks.com/academia/tah-portal/max-planck-gesellschaft-zur-foerderung-der-wissenschaften-ev-31194937.html. Click on “Sign in to get started” to create an account with your MPIMG email address.
Introduction to Bioinformatics and Computational Biology by Shirley Liu
Introduction to Computational Biology by Mike Love (IMPRS-CBSC alumnus)
Rosalind: platform for learning bioinformatics and programming through problem-solving
The Planck Academy offers a webinar on Improved Reading. You can find more details here.
Users from the Max Planck Society have access to iThenticate, a plagiarism detection tool that applies text-matching algorithms to compare the full text of a given manuscript with a growing number of published scholarly works and web content. You can find more information here: https://ithenticate.mpdl.mpg.de.
Find the appropriate format for your target audience here.
Federal Funding Advisory Service on Research and Innovation: They can help you identify a whole range of funding opportunities from various German government initiatives. They can also help you find local, national and EU research schemes, recommend partners, support international projects and much more. You can contact them by phone or email.
Research in Germany: you can find there funding opportunities for different career levels.