The graduate program IMPRS for Biology And Computation (IMPRS-BAC) provides an education for students at the interface of molecular life sciences and computational sciences. This is based on perspective and supervision from both ends - experimental and computational - and suits students with degrees in molecular biology, biochemistry, mathematics, bioinformatics or any related areas. If you have a passion for epigenetics, bioinformatics, developmental biology, mathematics, sequence analysis, gene regulation, RNA biology, mechanobiology, protein biochemistry, stem cells and differentiation, statistics, molecular evolution or biophysics and want to work at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics or the Freie Universität Berlin - this is the doctoral program for you!
For your online application please prepare:
- a letter of motivation
- an indication of the groups at IMPRS-BAC you'd like to work with
- a formal CV
- your certificates and transcripts of records in German or English (you should gain your degree before October 2023)
- the contact details of two willing referees
- a research proposal (best based on the project proposals linked above)
The registration platform is hosted on the website of the Dahlem Research School | Freie Universität Berlin. Once you click on the "Apply now" button, you will first have to register on this website by entering your first name, last name and email address. You will then receive an email with a link to create a password. You will then be able to access the application form itself.
There is no application fee.
Admission Procedure 2023
This year, we will follow a hybrid admission procedure:
- The deadline for submitting written appplications is January, 6th, 2023 (23:59 CET).
- The deadline to submit reference letters is January, 13th, 2023, 23:59 (23:59 CET).
- First round of admission: Long-listed candidates will be asked to upload a video presentation describing a research project they were involved in. The deadline for upload is February 8th, 2023 (23:59 CET). Online Q&A sessions will take place from February, 21st to 24th, 2023 with our selection committee about the uploaded presentation.
- Second round of admission: Short-listed candidates will be invited to Berlin from March 27th-29th, 2023 in order to have personal interviews with our recruiting faculty members and a journal club-like paper discussion. If the pandemic or visa restrictions make it impossible for you to travel, participation via video call is possible. All traveling and accommodation costs are covered by the IMPRS.