Dr. Ralf Herwig - Bioinformatics
- 1996 Diploma in Mathematics, FU Berlin, Germany
- 2001 Doctorate in Mathematics, FU Berlin and Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics, Germany
- 03/2001-11/2015 Head of the group "Bioinformatics" in the Department Vertebrate Genomics, Max-Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics.
- 12/2015-present Head of the group "Bioinformatics" in the Department Computational Molecular Biology, Max-Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics.
- Statistical analysis of gene expression and proteomics data
- Modeling and simulation of biological processes
- Data integration techniques
Ralf Herwig did his diploma work in mathematics at the Free University of Berlin on robust non-parametric estimation. After his diploma work
he developed statistical methods and algorithms for analysis of high-throughput gene expression data within several projects at the
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics and did his PhD at the FU Berlin in mathematics/statistics on clustering algorithms with a special
focus on information-theoretic methods. His current research covers statistical methods and their application to gene expression,
proteomics and metabolomics data with various biological backgrounds. He is developing tools for data integration and correlation across
different experimental platforms. Recently, his research focus goes into the modeling of biological processes such as metabolic pathways
and signal transduction pathways.
- E Klipp, R Herwig, A Kowald, C Wierling and H Lehrach (2005)
Systems Biology in Practice.
- E Klipp, W Liebermeister, C Wierling, A Kowald, H Lehrach and R Herwig (2009)
Systems Biology: A Textbook.
- R Herwig (2014)
Computational modeling of drug response with applications to neuroscience.
Dialogues Clin Neurosci., 16 (4): 465-77
- DM Hendrickx et al. (2014)
diXa: a data infrastructure for chemical safety assessment.
Bioinformatics, 31 (9): 1505-7
- HJ Hülsmann et al. (2014)
Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase sensitizes lung cancer cells and H1299 xenografts to erlotinib.
Lung Cancer, S0169-5002 (14) 00368-7
- G Reiner et al. (2014)
Pathway deregulation and expression QTLs in response to Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae infection in swine.
Mamm Genome, 25 (11-12): 600-17
- A Rasche, M Lienhard, ML Yaspo, H Lehrach, R Herwig (2014)
ARH-seq: identification of differential splicing in RNA-seq data.
Nucleic Acids Res., 42 (14): e110