Transferable Skills Course: Data Visualization with R
- Start: May 31, 2023 09:30 AM (Local Time Germany)
- End: Jun 14, 2023 05:30 PM
- Speaker: Rick Scavetta
- Location: online
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Data Visualization workshop is divided into two distinct parts – principles and applications.
Please email email@example.com to register.
This course will take place online. There are two group sessions and one 1:1 session with the trainer:
- Start eLearning: 24 May 2023
- 1st Group Session: 31 May 2023, 09.30 – 11.30
- 2nd Group Session: 7 June 2023, 09.30 – 11.30
- Study Session: 9 June 2023, 14.30 – 16.30
- 1:1 Mentoring Session: 14 June 2023, 09.00 – 17.30
Two weeks before the first group session you will receive access to the course material, which you will need to work through before the group sessions. This should take about 1-2 hours of your time per day.
- Use Figures and Tables to effectively tell the story of their research.
- Decide whether text, tables, or plots are most appropriate to convey the message of each result.
- Choose the most appropriate plot type for their data.
- Understand the science of perception and apply design principles to communicate their message clearly.
- Use aesthetics to relate sensory attributes (color, shape, etc.) to abstractions (enrichment, change-over-time).
- Distinguish between graphics for publication and for data exploration.
- Interactive visualizations if time permits
Courses are now structured by modules and run for three to four weeks, giving participants a clearer structure and more time to engage with the material and the instructor. Additionally, courses include a new Study Session module where students can explore real-world case studies.
You can find an extensive description of the course and its prerequisites here.