The graduate program IMPRS for Biology and Computation (IMPRS-BAC) provides an interdisciplinary education for doctoral candidates at the interface of molecular life sciences and computational sciences. This is based on perspective and supervision from both ends - experimental and computational - and suits graduates with degrees in molecular biology, biochemistry, mathematics, bioinformatics or any related areas. If you have a passion for epigenetics, bioinformatics, developmental biology, mathematics, sequence analysis, gene regulation, RNA biology, mechanobiology, protein biochemistry, stem cells and differentiation, statistics, molecular evolution or biophysics and want to work at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics or the Freie Universität Berlin - this is the doctoral program for you!
The selection of doctoral candidates is highly competitive and entirely based on qualification, motivation for doctoral studies at the interface between molecular life sciences and computational sciences, a research proposal, and references. IMPRS-BAC also aims for a balanced composition regarding national and international candidates and with respect to gender. To minimize unconscious bias, we kindly ask you not to include a photo in your CV.
For your online application please prepare:
- a letter of motivation (Please describe why you are applying to this program, your scientific interests and why you want to do a doctorate)
- an indication of the groups at IMPRS-BAC you'd like to work with
- a formal CV (We kindly ask you not to include a photo in your CV)
- your certificates and transcripts of records in German or English (you should gain your degree before October 2024)
- the contact details of two willing referees (Please provide institutional email addresses)
- a research proposal (best based on the project proposals)
The registration portal is hosted on the website of the Dahlem Research School | Freie Universität Berlin. Once you click on the "Apply now" button, you will first have to register on this website by entering your first name, last name and email address. You can also find data protection information. You will then receive an email from email@example.com with a link to create a password. You will then be able to access the application form itself. Keep this email since it contains the link to edit your application.
There is no application fee.
Admission Procedure 2024
- The deadline for submitting written applications is January 5th, 2024 (23:59 CET).
- The deadline to submit reference letters is January 12th, 2024, 23:59 (23:59 CET).
- First round of admission: Long-listed candidates will be asked to upload a video presentation describing a research project they were involved in. The deadline for upload is February 8th, 2024 (23:59 CET). Online Q&A sessions will take place from February 19th to 23rd, 2024 with our selection committee about the uploaded presentation.
- Second round of admission: Short-listed candidates will be invited to Berlin from March 18th to 20th, 2024 to have personal interviews with our recruiting faculty members, a journal club-like paper discussion, lab tours and meetings with our current doctoral candidates. If the pandemic or visa restrictions make it impossible for you to travel, participation via video call is possible. Traveling and accommodation costs are covered by the IMPRS.