Transferable Skills Course: Scientific Writing and Publication
- Beginn: 30.01.2019
- Ende: 01.02.2019
- Vortragender: Mediomix
- Derek Handley
- Ort: MPI-MG
- Raum: seminar room 2
- Gastgeber: Kirsten Kelleher
This course is full. Please email email@example.com to get on the waiting list.
You will learn how to use engaging language to turn your data and ideas into papers that get cited.
The workshop covers key aspects for writing research and review papers, and conference and poster abstracts. The material includes critiques of the participants' own writing, the intersection between science communication and individual style, and methods for dealing with writers' block. The workshop also takes a detailed look at getting research and review articles published and dealing with reviewers and editors.
- Fundamentals of academic rhetoric (writing for different audiences)
- Key elements of language in science communication (passive v active voice, parallel structure, misused phrases)
- Analysis of writing (improving your own and someone else's writing)
- Scientific papers and abstracts in focus (the different elements of a paper)
- Writing tips (overcoming writers' block, creating structure, flow)
- Getting published (insights into editorial and peer-review process, responding to reviewer feedback)