Transferable Skills Course: Scientific Writing
Nov 2, 2017
Nov 3, 2017
Dr. Brian Cusack
seminar room 2
This workshop is fully booked. Please email email@example.com to join the waiting list.
This workshop enables life scientists to communicate their research clearly and effectively.
Participants Learn How To:
- Apply five key principles of scientific writing.
- Write for their readers.
- Construct a memorable “take-home message”.
- Connect all parts of their paper in a flowing narrative.
- Overcome writers’ block.
- Structure their paper for increased impact.
- Use the writing process to inform their own research.
- Understand the role of “story telling” in scientific writing.
Our Teaching Approach:
- Encourages participants to see “the big picture” of their research.
- Uses discussions, exercises and homework to underscore key-points.
- Equips participants with writing tools rather than burdening them with writing rules.
- Includes editing of participants’ Abstracts and follow-up one-to-one consultation.
- Includes class discussions that facilitate an understanding of the
writing process; encouraging interaction and the sharing of writing
- Creates an informal atmosphere that motivates students to enjoy writing.